Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Broken bones

A few weeks ago we were getting the kids ready for bed on a Friday night. Maya was in the shower and Josh and Cora decided to go downstairs for a few minutes before going to sleep. Cora ended up falling down the last 2 stairs and put her arm out to break the fall. When Nick went to help her she pointed at her arm and said, "Owie" -- she cried for a few minutes, but then all of a sudden she stopped and would really respond to us. She had also lost all of the color in her face and her lips were white. We decided to take her to the ER to have her arm checked out. I put the kids to bed and Nick took her in to see the doctor. As I waited anxiously for any information from Nick, I couldn't focus on anything else and felt sick to my stomach. I felt terrible that she was hurting and I couldn't do anything about it. They took a few X-Rays and wrapped it in a bandage before sending her home. Around midnight I heard Nick's car pull into the driveway. I was so excited to see that little girl. He opened the door for her and she came running in to see me, saying, "mommy! See? See?" The doctors had given her a little stuffed kitty and she wanted to show me her bandage as well. I can't explain the relief I felt when I saw her back to normal with the color in her face and hearing her sweet voice. We had a follow up appointment on Tuesday with the Orthopedic doctor. I brought the big kids along too because I didn't think much would happen...they'd remove the bandage, take an X-ray, and let us go, right? Wrong. The x-ray showed a definite break and we were told she'd need a cast for 4 weeks. Cora did an awesome job with the x-rays and getting her arm wrapped. She wouldn't break a smile at the nurses or doctor but she didn't cry or whine either. I was thankful for that!


Only 6 more days and this bad boy is coming off! I can't wait to scrub her arm...the cast is filthy and I can't imagine how dirty it is underneath. We love you brave girl!

No comments: